Sunday, October 31, 2010
Weeks Six and Seven of the comics class were largely devoted to students finishing their midterm comics (a four page story) and an all day critique of the finished work. So other than a lively discussion about art and commerce, my role was basically working with everybody one on one. In the meantime, I've kept busy, working on a one page comic for the CBLDF, a Gargamel minicomic (not to be seen anytime soon, I'm afraid), and some comics to promote Incredible Change-Bots Two as well as a new story for the third Change-Bots book. Basically I'm avoiding starting the next Book, I guess. I also gave my 'Process' talk at the Tippecanoe Public Library, where I also demonstrated my process by working on a cat comic based on the cat of one of the audience members; I finished the comic when I got home.
Saturday, October 2, 2010
For this week's class I wanted to get the students thinking about how they balance text and image, how they spread out dialogue and how they use narration. The exercise I came up with was to have the students adapt an excerpt of prose into comics form. In retrospect I maybe should've provided the prose to be used, but even with all the different texts being adapted, it was still a good way to investigate these issues. Here's the example I brought, from my cover artwork for the Penguin Graphic Classics Edition of Ethan Frome. I'd probably tackle this adaptation much differently now if I was doing it over.